Friday, April 6, 2012

Apricot-Bourbon Mustard

Just in time for Easter.
Heavenly good in deviled Easter eggs.
Hella good schmeer on an Easter ham sandwich.


This recipe is inspired by Diane Morgan’s, “Gifts Cooks Love.”

Normally I prefer the more pungent brown mustard seeds but today I ran out of brown so mixed yellow. When I fell short of apricots I slipped in a few golden raisins. Go Figure.

Apricot Bourbon Mustard

Fills four 6 ounce jars, perfect little gifts

1 c brown mustard seeds
1 c bourbon (The better the bourbon the better the mustard)
1 c water
1 c packed, chopped dried apricots
5 T cider vinegar
5 T honey
1 T kosher salt

Put the mustard seeds in a bowl, pour in bourbon and water, soak overnight.
Add the apricots and soak for another 12 hours.
Strain mixture and reserve liquid.
In a food processor pulse all ingredients to desired consistency, adding remaining liquid as needed. (I like the seeds half cracked for full hot flavor, and half whole to retain the grainy texture.)
Distribute among clean jars, wiping rims and securing lids. Best refrigerated for at least 2 weeks to allow the flavors to develop and mature. It will thicken as it sits. Keeps up to 3 months.

Normally I would wait out the aging process, but I'm going to jump the gun for Easter Brunch.
 My party won't mind.






No comments:

Post a Comment