Sunday, February 7, 2010

Holy Guacamole

Food fantasies often occur to me in the most unlikely moments, like yesterday in yoga class. I was in shoulder stand when my monkey mind started chattering about guacamole. At the moment I let it go, but it came back after class when I went grocery shopping. There was quite the buzz going on in the produce section around the avocados. They have been getting a lot of attention lately because they have become standard fare for that Hallowed American Holiday,Super Bowl Sunday.

Now football isn’t exactly my thing and I don’t pay much attention except at the pinnacle of the season. Then it’s not so much about the game, it’s about the people at the party, the commercials and the FOOD! (Well watching those tight ends in spandex is rather entertaining.)

Somehow, guacamole, mashed avocado dip, has made its way to the forefront of snackage on the day of the big game. How ironic this typico Mexican dish sets the bar for the rest of the menu. Its lineage can be traced all the way back to the Aztecs, who regarded it as an aphrodisiac. There’s a multitude of recipes out there mixing it up with chopped onions, tomatoes, chilies, cilantro, lime and an assortment of other options.

So there I was, hanging out upside down, with sweating bodies all around me, when the idea of throwing a little TEQUILA! into my guacamole mix got the ball rolling. Why not combine this duo of south of the border flavors into one easy dip? So I’m going to give it a shot (or two) today and suggest you do the same. Enjoy your day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment